Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Where have all of the volunteer leaders gone?

Volunteer groups like the Boy Scouts of America function and exist because there are adult leaders. At its core they are the reason the boys keep coming back, especially in cubs scouts. The adults brainstorm and commit program activities like camping, community service, fundraising and education to name a few. Without them the boys would be unable to function.

Sitting at a recent district commissioner meeting I was singled out as one of those 'young' parents, though I don't consider that true as I'm nearly 40. But looking around the room everyone was 50, 60, 65 years old or older. I was the young guy. But wait, my sons are in third & fifth grade. Where are the new Tiger parents, those young 30ish adults??? Aren't they also planning and running cub events? Why am I the sole adult in their 30's taking part in planning the years program for our 800+ scouts?


I read recently the young parents are now called the Connected generation. They thrive on Instagram and Facebook. Opting for a text rather than a call. They don't do paper newsletters, phone trees and old fashion calendars. But something else is happening, they are not driving the planning and execution of the bigger events. Are they intimidated or scared to step up? I will be honest, I only have 5 years of Scouting knowledge, not 40 or 50 years like some of my peers. And I was quiet and reserved my first few months as a commissioner. But I was learning, who the thought leaders were, who was the performer and who posed a challenge to work with...let's not forget these adults have decades of experience so they tend to push their agenda.

Out of 30 active cub units I have one or two adults in this age bracket who help. That is help with a project or event. Not at the strategy and planning level with the district. Why?

Over the next four months I M going to try something different at Roundtable. I'm going to challenge the cub adults who attend to take on chairman ship of an event like pinewood derby or On Target or Friends Of Scouting. Not as a direct assignment. But more as a challenge to keep scouting fun and make it fun and interesting for the young adults. This includes opening up our private Facebook page to encourage them to post events and videos, not just photos and training reminders. Utilize snapchap and Instagram to drive home the reason why we are here. To make the program safe and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment