Saturday, November 13, 2010

It's a team effort

I had the opportunity to coach my sons t-ball game today. Something I've done a few times in the past. The boys range in age from 4 - 6 some have older brothers who play so they have some knowledge while other are in their first season. It's an hour of fun, no stress sports. Just teaching the fundamentals of baseball, teamwork and self-confidence.

A fellow parent overheard another one of the players parents at the game and the discussion is something that has me at my boiling point. These parts have an older son, about 11 who's playing, a father who is pretty good and a 4 year old. The youngest was a walk-on. Wait, let me rephrase that. His mother walked up two weeks ago and told the coach that her son was to play on this team because no one else had room. She hasn't paid the fee for the association, wasn't put on the team and joined 4 weeks into the season.

OK so it's just t-ball, no huge deal. Except that this mother and her husband were overheard making derogatory comment about one of the other boys. This is complete and utterly unacceptable. The mother that overheard the comments did not feel comfortable repeating what was said. But she told me that she doesn't feel like keeping her child on the team.

What is one to do? The teams main coach is a good friend of this father. The mother and father are both highly competitive, they only cheer for their son, never for anyone else on the team. When I was told of this today I felt hurt, enraged and sad. Sad for this boy who's parents feel it's acceptable to talk about another child in a way that is completely absurb. And hurt that these parents feel it is fine to talk about another child who's learning not only how to play the great sport of baseball but also life skills.

Monday night practice is going to be interesting. Should I call and talk to the league president, should I call the coach or should I keep my mouth shut? I know for sure that I am going to continue to teach my children and these boys how to respect not only each other but anyone else they run into.

Just like my fraternity motto, Vir Quisque Vir, every man a man it's something that I live by day after day. And I want to make sure that I teach this to everyone I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment