Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Full Force Vote

It doesn't really matter who I or anyone else voted for. But it does matter that we made the effort. To read up on the candidates, amendments and other items on the ballot. And that we took the time to stand in line. In my small precinct I stood outside in line for nearly 20 minutes. It was wet. No it was muddy, humid and late. Our small precinct a small Baptist Church can only hold about 20 people max at a time. That's 10 voting tables, three lines for check-in and one scanner. Plus we had about 30 in line outside. It was calm, everyone was patient and I know proud.

What was most interesting was the number of children who accompanied one or both parents. I myself had all three of my children there. My 3 year old asked what a vote was. We did our best to explain why we were filling in little ovals on a single sheet of paper. But he just doesn't understand. Our 6 year old however wasn't quite as talkative. We did our best to explain why we were voting, how so many people outside of the US do not get the chance to vote. Heck that most of the time some of those people don't get to eat, or don't get an education, or don't have the means to feed other members of their family.

And that is why it's so important we learn about our candidates, issues and take the time every two years to exercise our right to vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment